This can be stuffed into any cooked vegetable, served with crudités, spread on crostini or tucked into fully baked miniature tart shells.
- One 8-ounce whole smoked trout
- ¼ cup minced celery
- ¼ cup minced yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons very cold heavy cream
Remove the skin, head and tail from the trout. Gently pull the fillets from the bones, leaving even the very fine bones attached.
In a mixing bowl, gently shred the fillets with two forks; remove any fine bones now. Set aside.
Cook the celery and onion in butter over medium-low heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add, with pepper, to the fish. Cool.
Beat the cream until it holds soft peaks. Gently fold into the trout.Refrigerate for at least 3 to 4 hours, or up to 2 days, before using.