- Course: Main Course
- Total Time: Under 2 Hours
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 29 Times
Using a prepared whole-grain crust makes it easy to enjoy this comforting classic. A one-wedge serving of this wonderful pie may not satisfy larger appetites, so double the recipe to ensure second helpings and, with any luck, some leftovers.
- 4 medium potatoes, preferably russet
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon light olive oil
- 1 medium onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup finely chopped broccoli
- 2 tablespoons unbleached white flour
- ½ cup low-fat milk, rice milk, or soy milk
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley, optional
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 9-inch prepared good-quality pie crust, preferably whole grain
- ½ cup whole-grain bread crumbs
1 Cook or microwave the potatoes in their skins until done. When cool enough to handle, peel. Dice two and mash the other two. Set aside.
2 Preheat the oven to 350° F.
3 Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and carrot and sauté over medium heat until golden.
4 Add the broccoli along with a small amount of water. Cover and cook until the broccoli is tender but not overdone, 3 to 4 minutes.
5 Sprinkle the flour into the skillet, then pour in the milk, stirring constantly. Cook until the liquid thickens a bit, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the diced and mashed potatoes. Heat through gently. Stir in the parsley, if using, and season with salt and pepper. Pour the mixture into the pie crust and pat in.
6 Place the bread crumbs in a small mixing bowl. Drizzle with the remaining oil and stir until the crumbs are evenly moistened. Sprinkle evenly over the pie. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the crust is golden. Let the pie stand for about 10 minutes, then cut into wedges and serve.
© 2004 Nava Atlas
Nutritional information is provided by the author.
Total fat: 14 g
Protein: 6 g
Fiber: 3.4 g
Carbohydrates: 40 g
Cholesterol: 1 g
Sodium: 226 mg///
Total fat: 13 g
Protein: 5 g
Fiber: 3.4 g
Carbohydrates: 42 g
Cholesterol: 0 g
Sodium: 223 mg