Lentils replace the lamb, and yogurt is a light alternative to béchamel sauce, in this vegetarian version of a Greek favorite. Good with a mixed green salad and crusty rustic bread.
Preparation Time20 min
Preparation Time - Text20 mins
Cooking Time1 min
Total Timeunder 2 hours
Make Ahead RecipeYes
One Pot MealYes
OccasionCasual Dinner Party, Family Get-together
Recipe Coursemain course
Dietary Considerationhealthy, vegetarian
Five Ingredients or LessYes
Taste and Texturesalty, savory
Type of Dishcasserole
- 2 medium eggplants, about 1 lb 8 oz (70g), cut into ½ in (13mm) slices
- 2 zucchini, cut into ½ in (13mm) slices
- 2 onions, cut into ½ in (13mm) half-moons
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and cut into ½ in (13mm) wide strips
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped thyme
- One 14.5 oz (411g) can chopped tomatoes
- One 15 oz (420g) can lentils, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1¼ cups Greek-style yogurt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Pinch of paprika
- 3 oz (85g) feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Toss the eggplant, zucchini, onions, and red peppers in a roasting pan. Drizzle with the oil and toss. Season with salt and pepper.
Roast for 10 minutes. Stir in the garlic and thyme. Continue roasting for 30–35 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. Reduce the temperature to 350°F (180°C).
Stir the tomatoes with their juices, the lentils, and the parsley into the roasted vegetables and season with salt and pepper as needed. Transfer the vegetables to a 9in (23cm) square baking dish.
Beat the yogurt, eggs, and paprika together and season lightly with salt and pepper (keeping in mind that the feta cheese is very salty). Spread over the vegetables and sprinkle with the feta. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes. Sprinkle with the sesame seeds and bake for 10 minutes more, or until the top is golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes, then serve hot (or cool and serve at room temperature).
2008 Dorling Kindersley