- Course: Main Course, Side Dish
- Total Time: Under 30 Minutes
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 41 Times
Can be made ahead of time.
Cook these under the broiler or on a barbecue. Good with a leafy salad for a light vegetarian lunch, or alongside grilled meat or fish.
1. Trim the zucchini and cut into 8 chunks. Cut the peppers into 1in (2.5cm) pieces. Peel the onion, and cut into wedges leaving the root end intact so that the wedges do not fall apart.
2. Thread the zucchini, peppers, onion, tomatoes, and mushrooms in equal amounts onto 4 large or 8 small skewers. Whisk the oil, garlic, oregano, and hot pepper together in a small bowl with a fork.
3. Position a broiler rack 6in (15cm) from the source of heat and preheat the broiler. Place the kebabs on the broiler pan and brush generously with the garlic oil. Broil, turning often and brushing with the remaining oil, 10 to 15 minutes, until the vegetables are just tender. Serve hot or at room temperature, with any remaining oil drizzled over the kebabs.
Variation: Pesto Vegetable Kebabs
Omit the garlic and oregano. Stir 1 tbsp prepared pesto into the oil.
Prepare ahead: Steps 1 and 2 can be completed several hours in advance.
Caution: soak wooden skewers in cold water for 30 minutes before use to prevent burning.
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox