- Course: Main Course, Side Dish, Starch, Vegetable
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 150 Times
A satisfying dish that both vegetarians and meat-eaters will enjoy.
- 1¾ cups basmati rice
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 2 boiling potatoes, peeled and cut into small dice
- ½ cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 2/3 cup frozen peas
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp chile powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2/3 cup vegetable stock
- ½ cup cashew nuts, lightly toasted
1. Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil over high heat. Add the rice and cook until just tender, about 15 minutes. Drain well.
2. Cook the carrot and potatoes in another saucepan of salted boiling water until half-done, about 5 minutes. Add the cauliflower and cook about 5 minutes more, until all of the vegetables are tender. Drain.
3. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, about 5 minutes, or until softened. Add the red and green peppers and the zucchini and cook, stirring often, until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
4. Stir the reserved vegetables and peas into the frying pan. Add the coriander, curry powder, turmeric, chile powder, and cumin. Cook for 1 minute, stirring often, until the spices are very fragrant.
5. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C ). Spread half the rice into a baking dish, top with the vegetable mixture, and then the remaining rice. Cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 30 minutes, or until hot. Sprinkle with cashews and serve.
Nutritional Benefits: low fat
© 2008 Dorling Kindersley