- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ½ cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 3 cups milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
1. In a bowl mix the cornstarch, sugar and salt. Add about ½ cup milk and mix. Heat remaining milk almost to simmering in a heavy saucepan over moderate heat.
2. Stir cornstarch mixture to blend it and add about half of the scalded milk to it while stirring. Return to milk in saucepan and cook, stirring, until the mixture boils.
3. Beat the egg yolks lightly. Add a small amount of the pudding mixture to the yolks, stirring constantly. Return all to the saucepan and cook, stirring, until thickened.
4. Add vanilla and turn the mixture immediately into a serving dish or into 5 or 6 custard cups. Cool and chill. Serve with a fruit sauce.