A deli-roasted chicken is the lifeline to dozens of quick, tasty dinners, and this one is a favorite around my house. With white beans, fresh zucchini, a handful of crunchy chopped onion, and a healthy dose of garlic, the ragout makes a delicious main dish that can be on the table in less than 20 minutes. That little bit of cream isn’t necessary, but it does give the dish an extra-smooth finish. Serve the Tuscan chicken on a cold, rainy night in deep bowls with crusty bread and topped with lots of shredded Parmesan cheese.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 cups shredded roast chicken
- 2 cups zucchini, cut into 1-inch pieces (from 2 medium-size zucchini)
- 1 can (15 to 16 ounces) white beans, drained
- 1 tablespoons heavy (whipping) cream (optional)
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme, or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- Salt and black pepper
- ½ cup pre-shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)
1. Pour the olive oil into a 2-quart saucepan and heat over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until softened but not brown, 2 minutes.
2. Add the chicken and the zucchini and continue to cook, stirring, until the zucchini softens, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the beans, cream, if using, and thyme. Season the ragout with salt and pepper to taste. Continue cooking until the beans are heated through and the flavors are combined, 2 minutes longer.
3. Spoon the ragout into serving bowls and serve the Parmesan cheese, if using, on the side.
Nutritional information is based on 6 servings is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.