- Course: Main Course
- Total Time: Under 2 Hours
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 150 Times
Can be made ahead of time.
This soup, ribollita, is thick, filling, nutritious, and delicious. It is even wonderful at room temperature. Good with a dollop of pesto placed on top and olive oil passed on the side.
1. Heat the oil in a soup pot over medium-low heat. Add the onion, carrots, and leek and cook until softened but not colored. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the stock, tomatoes and their juices, and tomato paste.
2. In a bowl, mash half the beans with a fork and stir into the pot. Bring to a boil over high heat. Return the heat to medium-low and simmer for 30 minutes.
3. Add the remaining beans and spinach and simmer for 30 minutes more.
4. Place a slice of bread in each soup bowl. Ladle in the soup, and, if you like, top with a sprinkling of Parmesan.
This soup is best made ahead and reheated.
Nutritional information is based on 8 servings and 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.