- Course: Main Course
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 21 Times
- 1 cup wild rice
- 1 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups diced, cooked turkey
- ½ cup sliced almonds, blanched
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3½ cups turkey or chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Wash the rice thoroughly and cover with boiling water. Let soak for 1 hour. Drain well.
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Sauté the mushrooms and onion in 3 tablespoons butter for 10 minutes. Place in a buttered ovenproof casserole, along with the rice, turkey, almonds, and salt and pepper. Add the broth and cream; mix lightly. Cover and bake in the preheated oven for 1½ hours. Remove the cover, sprinkle with the cheese, and dot with the remaining butter. Increase the heat to 450°F and bake for 5 minutes longer.
© 1989, 2001 James Beard
Note from Cookstr's Editors
Nutritional information is based on 8 servings.