- Course: Main Course
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 11 Times
Tuna is often cooked with Asian flavors, but here the profile is Mediterranean
- 4 tuna steaks, about 5½ oz (150g) each
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 fennel bulb, cored and sliced
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 lemons (1 juiced, 1 cut into wedges)
- 3 tbsp chopped mint, parsley, and/or chervil
- 8 anchovy fillets
1. Brush 2 tbsp of the oil over the tuna steaks. Season with salt and a generous amount of pepper. Refrigerate until ready to cook.
2. Heat 2 tbsp of the remaining oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the fennel and cook, stirring often, about 4 minutes, just until crisp-tender. Transfer to a bowl and let cool.
3. Add the cucumber, shallots, lemon juice, remaining 2 tbsp oil, and the herbs to the fennel and mix. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Heat a large frying pan over high heat until very hot. Add the tuna and cook, turning once, about 1 minute per side, until seared.
5. Transfer each tuna steak to a dinner plate. Using a slotted spoon, serve the salad on top, and drape 2 anchovies over each serving. Garnish each with a lemon wedge. Spoon the dressing around the tuna and serve immediately.
Good with buttered new potatoes with parsley.
© 2008 Dorling Kindersley
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.