- Course: Main Course, Snack
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 22 Times
This flavor combination is great tossed in a salad and works just as well in a panini.
- 1 can (6 oz/170 g) water-packed tuna (preferably albacore), drained
- 4 water-packed canned artichokes, drained
- 2 tbsp (25 ml) chopped roasted red bell pepper
- 2 tbsp (25 ml) thinly sliced fresh basil
- 2 tsp (10 ml) chopped drained Niçoise olives
- 1 tsp (5 ml) drained capers
- 2 tbsp (25 ml) mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Pinch salt
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 2 hoagie buns, split
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- 4 thin slices onion
- 4 thin slices tomato
Preheat panini grill to high
1. In a bowl, combine tuna, artichokes, red pepper, basil, olives, capers, mayonnaise, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
2. Place rolls, cut side down, on a work surface and brush crusts with oil. Turn rolls over and, on bottom halves, evenly layer with tuna mixture, onion and tomato. Cover with top halves and press gently to pack.
3. Place sandwiches in grill, close the top plate and cook until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Serve immediately.
Niçoise olives are terrific, but kalamata, Greek or other brine-cured olives will be great too.
Drain the tuna and artichokes well to remove excess water; otherwise, you’ll end up with soggy bread.
© 2008 Tiffany Collins