Sam Choy's Island Flavors: Cook Your Way to Paradise with More Than 200 Delicious Recipes from Hawaii's Master Chef
Published by Hyperion
Total Timeunder 2 hours
Make Ahead RecipeYes
Taste and Texturefruity, herby, sweet
Type of Dishmarinades
- 2 cups diced fresh pineapple
- 3 cups diced fresh papaya
- ½ cup fresh cape gooseberries (ground cherries) (optional)
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar, or to taste
- Fresh mint or spearmint, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon prepared horseradish or to taste (optional)
In a saucepan, combine all ingredients except the mint. Bring to a boil, then simmer—stirring every 5 minutes to avoid scorching—for 1 hour or until the mixture reaches jam consistency.
Last, fold in the fresh mint to taste. Horseradish may be added if desired.
1999 Sam Choy, U'I and Steven Goldsberry