If you’ve never tasted fresh homemade mayonnaise you are in for a treat. Fresh mayonnaise is so silky. It’s nothing like its stepsister in the jar.
- 2 (50 mL) egg yolks, at room temperature, or ¼ cup pasteurized eggs (liquid or in the shell) (see Notes)
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dry mustard powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) sea salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) granulated sugar
- ½ tsp (2 mL) ground white pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) vegetable oil
1. In work bowl fitted with metal blade, process egg yolks, vinegar, dry mustard, sea salt, sugar and white pepper until smooth, for 2 minutes (see Notes). With the processor running, slowly drizzle oil through the small hole in the feed tube until it has been incorporated into the mayonnaise (see Notes).
2. When all of the oil is drizzled into egg mixture, remove processor lid and, with a rubber spatula, scrape down the sides and bottom, which sometimes collect residue, as necessary to incorporate all of the mixture. Replace lid and process for about 15 seconds.
Variation: Try flavored oils in place of the plain vegetable oil to enhance your dishes.