- 2 cups (500 mL) all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) baking powder
- Pinch salt
- ¼ cup (50 mL) shortening or butter
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup (125 mL) half and half (10%) cream
- Additional granulated sugar (optional)
- Baking sheet, ungreased
Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
1. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender or your fingers until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
2. Break eggs into a small bowl, reserving a little of the white. Whisk eggs and stir in the cream. Add to the flour mixture, stirring with a fork until a soft dough forms.
3. Place dough on a floured work surface, knead for about 30 seconds and roll into an oblong ¾ inch (1.5 cm) thick. Cut into triangles, or into diamonds by making diagonal cuts in one direction and then in the other direction. Mix the reserved egg white with 1 tsp (5 mL) water and brush over tops. Sprinkle with granulated sugar, if desired.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool slightly on a wire rack.
Nutritional information is based on 1 scone per serving and does not include the optional additional granulated sugar.