- Course: Dessert
- Total Time: Under 2 Hours
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 0 Times
Can be made ahead of time.
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
1. In a medium bowl, sift together confectioners' sugar, flour and salt.
2. In a large, clean mixer bowl, on high speed, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy. Gradually add the granulated sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Sift one-third of the flour mixture over the egg whites and fold in gently. Fold in the remaining flour mixture, in two more portions, folding lightly just until well blended. Fold in vanilla and almond extract (if using). Spoon into baking pan. Tap pan on counter lightly to get rid of any air bubbles. Smooth top of batter.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes or until lightly browned and top of cake springs back when touched lightly with fingertip. Immediately invert pan and, using hole in tube, hang upside down on an inverted funnel, neck of a bottle or a wire rack until cooled completely.
4. With a long thin knife or metal spatula, loosen around the edges, and then remove cake from pan. Decorate as desired.
Pineapple Angel Food Cake: Add 19-oz (540 mL) can crushed pineapple and its juice to the batter with vanilla (omit almond extract), mixing in until well combined, and bake as above.
Coconut and Strawberry Angel Cake (pictured): Beat 2 cups (500 mL) whipping (35%) cream and ¼ cup (50 mL) confectioner’s sugar on high speed until stiff peaks form. Spread over the sides and top of the plain angel food cake. Sprinkle ¼ cup (500 mL) toasted shredded sweetened coconut over the frosting. Arrange sliced strawberries on top (about 2 cups/500 mL). Chill cake for at least 30 minutes or for up to 4 hours.
Angel Cake Loaf: Spoon batter into 2 ungreased 9- by 5-inch (2 L) metal loaf pans and bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, then proceed as above.
Nutritional information is based on 12 servings.
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox