- Course: Main Course
- Total Time: Under 30 Minutes
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 31 Times
- 4 pounds very ripe tomatoes - peeled, seeded, and coarsely chopped, with the juice reserved
- 3 fresh basil leaves
- Salt and freshly milled white pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream, reduced over moderate heat by one-third
- Food processor or food mill
In a large non-aluminum saucepan, combine the tomatoes with the reserved juices, the basil, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook over moderate heat for about 20 minutes, or until the liquid begins to thicken.
Puree the tomatoes in a food processor or food mill.
Fold in the reduced cream.
Strain to remove any seeds. Check the seasonings and serve hot.
In summer, serve with a few ribbons of fresh basil.
Peeled, seeded, and juiced tomatoes freeze very well.
© Christopher Idone
Note from Cookstr's Editors
Nutritional information includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving.