- Course: Cold Appetizer
- Total Time: Under 15 Minutes
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 3 Times
This is the classic Filipino salad--it is eaten on a daily basis and is also served at parties. It is a perfect accompaniment to fried fish and pork dishes. The strong flavor of the salted duck eggs contrasts with fresh, juicy tomatoes and savory red onion.
- 4 large heirloom tomatoes (3 to 4 pounds), cored and chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 salted duck eggs, peeled and cut into wedges
- ½ small red onion or 1 shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar or sugarcane vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic chives or 1 tablespoon chopped scallions
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
Place the tomatoes in a large bowl and sprinkle them with the salt.
Add the duck eggs, red onion, and vinegar, and toss together to combine.
Taste and add more salt and vinegar, if needed.
Sprinkle the chopped chives and cilantro over the salad and serve at room temperature.
Salted duck eggs are found in many Chinese and Thai stores in Chinatowns. If salted duck eggs are not available, hard-boiled chicken eggs can be used as a substitute.
© 2006 Amelita Besa and Romeo Dorotan
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox