- Course: Antipasto/Mezze, Side Dish, Tapas/Small Plates, Vegetable
- Total Time: Under 2 Hours
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 35 Times
Can be made ahead of time.
An ancient method of preserving meat, confit infuses flavor into vegetables.
1. Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat until it begins to simmer. Add the garlic and cook about 3 minutes. Discard the garlic. In batches, add the eggplant to the oil and fry, stirring often, for 3 minutes, until golden brown. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
2. Discard all but 2 tbsp of the oil from the pan. Add the tomatoes and cook for 1–2 minutes, until slightly softened. Transfer to a bowl.
3. Add the eggplant to the bowl and season well with salt and pepper. Add the basil and mix gently. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand for 1 hour to develop the flavors.
4. Check the seasoning. Garnish with the basil and serve warm.
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox