- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 4 Times
Tomatillos, which are not related to tomatoes, have a fruity, fresh flavor that complements most any food or dish they accompany.
- About 8 ounces fresh tomatillos (1½ cups husked)
- 1 fresh jalapeno
- 1 1-inch wedge fresh onion (about ¼ cup) onion
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves (including tops of stalks)
- Salt (optional)
1. Pour about an inch of water into a saucepan with a lid and bring to a boil. Meanwhile, husk the tomatillos, rinse, and cut the larger ones to be the same size as the others for even cooking.
2. Cook the tomatillos for 5 to 7 minutes, until fork-tender. Drain, reserving some of the liquid. Place the tomatillos, jalapeño, onion, and cilantro in a blender or food processor and process until pureed. Taste and adjust the seasonings, adding salt and more jalapeño or cilantro, if desired.
© 1998 Jane Butel
Nutritional information is provided by the author.
Per serving: Calories 23, Protein 1 g, Carbohydrates 4 mg, Fiber 1 g, Fat 1 g, Saturated Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 2 mg.
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox