Tofu in Indian-Spiced Tomato Sauce
This robust dish makes a lively and different meal. I like to serve it with fresh green beans and naan, an Indian bread, to soak up the sauce.
Make ahead: This dish can be partially prepared the night before it is cooked. Complete Step 1. Cover and refrigerate overnight. The next morning, continue cooking as directed.
Serves4 to 6
Cooking Methodsauteeing, slow cooking
OccasionCasual Dinner Party
Recipe Coursemain course
Dietary Considerationmain course
Taste and Texturehot & spicy, savory, spiced, umami
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp (2 ml) minced ginger root
- 1 long green chile pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 6 whole cloves
- 4 pods white or green cardamom
- 1 cinnamon stick piece, about 2 inches (5 cm)
- 1 tsp (5 ml) caraway seeds
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- ½ tsp (2 ml) cracked black peppercorns
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) tomatoes, including juice
- ¼ cup (50 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml) curry powder
- ¼ tsp (1 ml) cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) vegetable oil
- 8 oz (250 g) firm tofu, cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) squares
In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, until softened. Add garlic, gingerroot, chili pepper, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon stick, caraway seeds, salt and peppercorns and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomatoes with juice and bring to a boil. Transfer to slow cooker stoneware.
Cover and cook on Low for 8 to 10 hours or on High for 4 to 5 hours.
Tofu: On a plate, mix together flour, curry powder and cayenne. Roll tofu in mixture until lightly coated. Discard excess flour. In a skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add dredged tofu and sauté, stirring, until nicely browned. Spoon tomato mixture into a serving dish. Discard cloves, cardamom and cinnamon stick. Layer tofu on top.
2004 Judith Finlayson