I eat tofu burgers because I like them, not just because they’re good for my health.
- 1 pound extra-firm or firm tofu
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1 egg
- 1½ teaspoons minced chives, fresh or frozen
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1) Preheat the oven to 450°F. Coat a baking sheet with a nonstick spray or line with parchment paper.
2) Wrap the tofu in a clean kitchen towel. Squeeze out all the excess moisture. Twist the towel hard around the tofu because the less water, the better the texture of the burgers.
3) All the ingredients can easily be mixed in a food processor using the steel blade. Mince the garlic first, then pulse in the rest of the ingredients. If you’re mixing the ingredients by hand, make sure the garlic is finely minced and the egg is lightly beaten before putting it all together. Handle it as you would meatloaf, kneading it with your hands.
4) Using your hands, form the mixture into 4 patties. Place them on the baking sheet.
5) Bake for 10 minutes, turn over, and bake for 5 minutes more.
Nutritional information is provided by the author.
Per Serving: Calories 230: Protein 22g: Fat 12g (Saturated 2g): Carbohydrates 13g: Fiber 1g, Sodium 290mg