Three Cheese Risotto
Total Timeunder 1 hour
Make Ahead RecipeYes
One Pot MealYes
OccasionCasual Dinner Party, Formal Dinner Party
Recipe Coursehot appetizer, main course, side dish
Dietary Considerationhot appetizer, main course, side dish
Five Ingredients or LessYes
Taste and Texturecheesy, savory, umami
- About 1 quart chicken stock, preferably organic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 sticks of celery, trimmed and finely chopped
- 1 ¾ cups uncooked risotto rice
- 2 wine glasses of dry white wine
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces Appenzeller or Gruyere cheese, roughly chopped
- 4 ounces Taleggio cheese, roughly chopped
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 ounces Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
Heat the stock in a pan over a moderate heat.
Heat the olive oil in a separate pan. Add the onions, garlic and celery, and fry gently for about 5 minutes until softened. Add the rice to the pan and turn up the heat. Cook for a minute or so, stirring constantly, until the rice looks slightly translucent. Add the wine and keep stirring.
Once the wine has been absorbed by the rice, add a ladle of hot stock and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Turn the heat down to a simmer so the rice doesn’t cook too quickly on the outside. Add the stock, a ladleful at a time, stirring constantly and allowing each ladleful to be absorbed before adding the next, until the rice is cooked but still holds its shape – this takes about 15 minutes.
Stir in the Appenzeller or Gruyere and Taleggio. Remove the pan from the heat and season to taste, then beat in the butter and Parmesan. Place a lid on the pan and leave to rest for 2 to 3 minutes – your risotto will get nice and oozy. Enjoy!
2016 Jamie Oliver