I love sausage and beans; so I couldn’t resist combining a bunch of different beans with Italian sausage in this great chili. If you like, instead of the salsa, top with a dollop of sour cream and chopped fresh coriander or green onions. Serve with a green salad and cornbread.
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 lb (500 g) hot or mild Italian sausage
- 1 onion, cut in ½-inch (1 cm) chunks
- 1 sweet red pepper, cut in ½-inch (1 cm) chunks
- 1 sweet green pepper, cut in ½-inch (1 cm) chunks
- 2 jalapeño peppers, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chili powder
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) paprika
- 2 tsp (10 mL) ground cumin
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) crushed tomatoes in purée or diced tomatoes
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) chick-peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) red wine vinegar or fresh lime juice
- Salt and pepper
- Tomato-Avocado Salsa (recipe follows)
- 1 tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced
- ¼ cup (50 mL) diced red onion
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh coriander
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) fresh lime juice
- Salt and pepper
1. In large heavy saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown sausage, turning occasionally, about 10 minutes. Remove and cut into ½-inch (1 cm) thick slices.
2. Pour off all but 2 tbsp (25 mL) drippings from pan; cook onion for 5 minutes. Add sweet and jalapeno peppers; cook for 1 minute. Stir in garlic, chili powder, paprika, cumin and oregano; cook for 30 seconds.
3. Stir in tomatoes, kidney beans, chick-peas and black beans; simmer, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes for flavors to blend. Add sausage; simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in vinegar. Add salt and pepper to taste. Pass salsa for spooning on top.
For the Tomato-Avocado Salsa:
1. In a small bowl, toss together tomato, avocado, onion, coriander, lime juice, and salt and pepper to taste.