Three-Bean Sausage Chili with Tomato-Avocado Salsa
I love sausage and beans; so I couldn’t resist combining a bunch of different beans with Italian sausage in this great chili. If you like, instead of the salsa, top with a dollop of sour cream and chopped fresh coriander or green onions. Serve with a green salad and cornbread.
Make tortilla “bowls” by brushing both sides of tortillas with melted butter. Place each in ovenproof bowl, making pleats as needed to fit. Bake in 400°F (200°C) oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until crisp and golden brown. Cool in bowls.
Generally, avocados should be purchased a few days before they are needed and ripened at home. To speed up ripening, wrap in newspaper or a paper bag. They are at their peak when they yield to gentle pressure, but be sure not to bruise them by squeezing too hard. Since a peeled, cut avocado will darken upon sitting, add to the salsa just before using. The lime juice, putting the pit in with the mixture, and covering with plastic wrap until serving time will all help keep the cut avocado bright.
Makes4 to 6 servings
Total Timeunder 2 hours
Make Ahead RecipeYes
One Pot MealYes
OccasionFamily Get-together, game day
Recipe Coursemain course
Dietary Considerationegg-free, peanut free, soy free, tree nut free
Five Ingredients or LessYes
Taste and Texturebubbly, hot & spicy, meaty, salty, savory, spiced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 lb (500 g) hot or mild Italian sausage
- 1 onion, cut in ½-inch (1 cm) chunks
- 1 sweet red pepper, cut in ½-inch (1 cm) chunks
- 1 sweet green pepper, cut in ½-inch (1 cm) chunks
- 2 jalapeño peppers, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chili powder
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) paprika
- 2 tsp (10 mL) ground cumin
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) crushed tomatoes in purée or diced tomatoes
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) chick-peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) red wine vinegar or fresh lime juice
- Salt and pepper
- Tomato-Avocado Salsa (recipe follows)
- 1 tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced
- ¼ cup (50 mL) diced red onion
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh coriander
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) fresh lime juice
- Salt and pepper
In large heavy saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown sausage, turning occasionally, about 10 minutes. Remove and cut into ½-inch (1 cm) thick slices.
Pour off all but 2 tbsp (25 mL) drippings from pan; cook onion for 5 minutes. Add sweet and jalapeno peppers; cook for 1 minute. Stir in garlic, chili powder, paprika, cumin and oregano; cook for 30 seconds.
Stir in tomatoes, kidney beans, chick-peas and black beans; simmer, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes for flavors to blend. Add sausage; simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in vinegar. Add salt and pepper to taste. Pass salsa for spooning on top.
For the Tomato-Avocado Salsa:
In a small bowl, toss together tomato, avocado, onion, coriander, lime juice, and salt and pepper to taste.
2002 Rose Murray