- Course: Hors D'oeuvre, Hot Appetizer
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 30 Times
The fragrant marinade and glaze exemplifies the traditional Thai blend of spicy, sweet, savory and sour in one dish. Marinated wings are grilled and glazed with a Thai honey-garlic sauce. They should be threaded, Thai style, on long bamboo skewers for an exotic presentation and for grilling ease.
The chilies are sprinkled on at the last minute, so the heat of the dish can be adjusted to taste. The fresh uncooked chilies contrast well with the sweet-and-sour garlic glaze.
- 3 lbs (1.5 kg) chicken wings, about 18 pieces
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) red curry paste
- 2 tbsp (25 ml) fish sauce or 3 pounded anchovies
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) soya sauce
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) lime juice
- 1 tsp (5 ml) sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) finely chopped coriander (cilantro), leaves and stems
- 2 tsp (10 ml) minced ginger
- 1 tsp (5 ml) finely chopped, deveined lime leaf (optional)
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) oil
- ¼ cup (50 ml) honey
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) minced garlic
- 1 to 2 tsp (5 to 10 ml) finely chopped chili peppers, preferably bird-eye chilies
- Lime wedges for garnish
- 18 long bamboo skewers, soaked in water
1. Marinate wings for at least 2 hours in a mixture of curry paste, 1 tbsp (15 ml) fish sauce, 1 tbsp (15 ml) lime juice, sugar, coriander, ginger, lime leaf (if available), and oil.
2. In a small saucepan over very low heat, stir in the honey, 1 tbsp (15 ml) fish sauce, remaining 2 tbsp (25 ml) lime juice and garlic until it reaches a simmer and is well mixed; set aside.
3. Thread each wing onto a skewer, starting at the tip of the drumette through the 3 sections so the wing tip is at the tip of the skewer and the wing is stretched straight. Grill over hot charcoal or under a broiler until cooked through and nicely browned; brush with the garlic glaze, turning each wing 2 or 3 times and glazing each time. On the last turn, sprinkle with the chopped chilies to taste (they should stick to the glaze). Serve garnished with lime wedges.
© 1997 Andrew Chase
Note from Cookstr's Editors
Nutritional information is based on 6 servings.