This is one of those dishes that everyone loves, especially children. I usually let the meat marinate in the teriyaki sauce overnight to absorb the ginger-garlic dressing. Instead of beef, try chicken breasts or turkey cutlets, which are also delicious.
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup rice wine or sake
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1½ tablespoons minced garlic
- 1½ pounds beef sirloin or London broil, trimmed of fat and gristle
- 10 scallions, trimmed and cut into 1½ inch lengths
- About 15 10-inch bamboo or metal skewers (bamboo soaked in water to cover for 1 hour)
FIRST Prepare the Teriyaki Sauce: Put the ingredients in a saucepan and bring them to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Let cool slightly.
SECOND Cut the beef across the grain into thin strips that are 3 inches long and ¼ inch thick. Thread the meat through the skewers so that the pieces lie flat, alternating with the scallion sections, starting and ending with the scallion sections. Arrange the skewers on a pan that has been lined with aluminum foil.
THIRD Liberally brush the beef with the teriyaki sauce and let marinate for 1 hour or overnight, in the refrigerator, covered with plastic wrap.
FOURTH Prepare a medium-hot fire for grilling or heat the broiler. Arrange the skewered beef and scallions on the grill or broil about 3 to 4 inches from the source of heat and cook, turning once, for about 4 to 5 minutes for medium-rare, or longer as desired. Remove and arrange on a serving platter, and serve.