- Course: Dessert
- Total Time: Under 4 Hours
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 2 Times
This electric orange pudding is great for someone who’s longing for dessert but trying to say no. Tangelos are big and juicy with a decidedly round and sparkly flavor, but any tangerine-type citrus at its sweet prime will be a good bet. A mixture of citrus-grapefruits, tangerines, blood oranges, a bit of lime-is also intriguing, a kind of tutti-frutti. Or use just blood orange juice, if you can find it.
If you choose to use bottled juice, look for one that is freshly squeezed, if possible. I have occasionally found some fine juices at farmers’ markets and farm stands where citrus are plentiful.
- 1 heaping teaspoon finely grated tangerine, tangelo, or other citrus zest
- 1 tablespoon organic sugar
- 3 tablespoons organic cornstarch
- 2 cups fresh tangelo juice (from 10 to 12 tangelos) or mixed citrus juice
- Tiny pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon bottled yuzu juice or 1 tablespoon orange-flower water
- Stevia, orange blossom honey, or agave nectar, to taste
1. Smash the tangerine zest with the sugar to moisten the sugar with the fruit’s aromatic oils. Transfer to a 1-quart saucepan along with the cornstarch, juice, and salt. Stir to dissolve the cornstarch.
2. Turn on the heat, bring the mixture to a boil, and cook, stirring, until the juice has thickened, after just a few minutes. Cook for 1 minute more, then turn off the heat and whisk in the butter and yuzu or orange-flower water. Taste, and if extra sweetener is needed, add a few drops of stevia, orange blossom honey, or agave nectar.
3. Divide among juice glasses or Champagne glasses. Refrigerate until set, about 2 hours. (If you’re not counting calories too carefully, this pudding is great with a dollop of whipped cream.)
© 1996 Elizabeth Terry
Nutritional information does not include Stevia, orange blossom honey, or agave nectar, to taste.
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox