Tandoori Chicken Salad
This is a delightful salad for summer meals or anytime you have leftover tandoori chicken. In fact, I recommend you make a double recipe of the chicken and use it for the salad the next day. It makes a delicious filling for a pita sandwich, topped with shredded lettuce and a dollop of yogurt. It is also a great picnic dish.
To toast sesame seeds: Spread in a dry skillet and toast on medium heat until starting to color, 3 to 4 minutes. Shake pan periodically to toast evenly. Seeds will turn slightly darker as they cool.
Total Timeunder 2 hours
Make Ahead RecipeYes
OccasionCasual Dinner Party
Recipe Coursemain course
Dietary Considerationmain course
Taste and Texturecrisp, herby, meaty, nutty, savory
Type of Dishmain course salad
- 6 cups (1.5 l) shredded Tandoori Chicken
- 1 cup (250 ml) julienne jicama or water chestnuts
- ½ cup (125 ml) finely sliced green onions, with some green
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) cilantro, chopped
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) toasted sesame seeds (see Notes)
- Juice of 2 limes or lemons
- 2 tsp (10 ml) minced green chilies, preferably serranos (optional)
- Boston lettuce
Toss together chicken, jicama, green onions, cilantro, sesame seeds, lime juice and chilies, if using. Chill for at least 1 hour or for up to 3 hours.
Serve over lettuce or in lettuce “cups.”
2004 Suneeta Vaswani