- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- One 35-ounce can Italian plum tomatoes with liquid-tomatoes should be chopped, with stem ends removed
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup pitted black olives, cut into quarters
- 2/3 cup capers, washed and drained
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pound tagliatelle
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and add the onion. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring often.
Add the anchovies, tomatoes with the liquid, and sugar, season lightly with salt and pepper, and simmer for 20 minutes.
Add the black olives and simmer for another 10 minutes.
Stir in the capers and taste for seasoning. Simmer for 10 minutes more. Sprinkle with oregano, cover, and let rest for 30 minutes off the heat.
Bring 4 quarts of water to a rolling boil. Stir in 1½ tablespoons of salt and add the pasta. Cook until al dente, or just tender, stirring often.
Reheat the sauce. Remove 1 cup of the hot pasta water, drain the pasta, and turn it into a serving bowl. Top with all but 1 cup of the sauce. Toss. Spoon the remaining sauce on top and serve immediately.
Serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
This recipe serves 6, includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving, but does not include freshly grated Parmesan cheese.