This is a fun way to get the family together. If you have taco night once a week, you can use tofu, chicken, fish, or beef on different weeks.
Total Timeunder 30 minutes
OccasionCasual Dinner Party, Family Get-together
Recipe Coursemain course
Dietary Considerationmain course
Taste and Texturecheesy, creamy, crisp, herby, savory, spiced, umami
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 package low-fat tofu, crumbled
- ½ tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Dash hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved or quarted
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 1 cup green cabbage, very thinly sliced
- 1 package fat-free whole wheat tortillas
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 limes, quartered
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt or sour cream (optional)
Heat the extra virgin olive oil in a skillet. Add tofu, spices, and hot sauce and cook for a few minutes until heated through. Add salt to taste. (Cook ground chicken or lean beef with the same spices as tofu, but allow 10 more minutes).
Arrange tomatoes, avocado, cabbage, onions, and limes on a platter.
Assemble the taco with your favorite ingredients.
2007 Domenica Catelli