There are few dips more vibrantly colorful than this one. It’s also another dip that is low in fat but high in flavor—serve it with crudités for a snack that will get high marks from your calorie-watching guests.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 large red bell peppers, roasted, peeled, and seeded
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt to taste
1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and jalapeno and cook uncovered, stirring often, until the onion is browned, about 6 minutes. During the last minute, add the garlic. Let cool slightly.
2. Combine the red peppers, onion and garlic, red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, and cumin in a food processor and process to a puree. Season with salt. Transfer to a medium bowl and let cool completely, then cover tightly and refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour, or up to 2 days.
3. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve chilled.
Nutritional information is based on 16 servings and includes 1/2 teaspoon of added salt.