- 2 dozen large ears sweet corn, husked
- 1 large green cabbage (about 3 pounds) – outer leaves removed, cut in half, and cored
- 4 green bell peppers – halved, cored, seeded, and deveined
- 1 sweet red bell pepper – halved, cored, seeded, and deveined
- 4 large onions
- 2 quarts cider vinegar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4½ cups sugar
- ¼ cup salt
- 3½ tablespoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
Using a sharp knife, cut the corn kernels from the cobs and reserve in a large bowl.
Using a spoon, scrape the milky liquid from the cob into the bowl of kernels.
Thinly slice the cabbage and chop medium fine.
Cut the green and red peppers into thin strips and dice.
Chop the onions.
In the kettle, bring 1 quart of the vinegar to a simmer over moderate heat.
Whisk in the flour, sugar, salt, dry mustard, and turmeric.
Add the remaining 1 quart vinegar and simmer for 30 minutes.
Ladle the relish into sterilized jars and seal.
Nutritional information is based on 44 servings.