Diners have their own special language. For example, if these waffles were served in a diner, they might be called “Summer Checkerboard with a Twist.”
- 3 cups soy milk
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 3½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Lemon Sauce (recipe follows)
- Fresh berries, for serving
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup soy milk
- 3½ to 4 cups confectioners sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- Pinch salt
To make the waffles:
1. Heat the soy milk to lukewarm then transfer to a large bowl. Stir in the sugar and yeast. Set aside to bubble and proof, about 5 minutes. Stir in the oil.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon and mix well. Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture. Stir in the vanilla and mix well. Cover the batter with plastic wrap and let rise overnight in the refrigerator or for several hours at room temperature. The longer the batter sits, the thicker it will be.
3. Preheat the oven to 250°F. Spray the waffle iron with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat the waffle iron. Stir the batter. If it’s too thick to spoon onto the waffle iron, stir in a little more soy milk until smooth. When the waffle iron is hot, cook the waffles according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
To make the Lemon Sauce:
Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl. Whisk together until well combined. Add a little more confectioners’ sugar or soy milk until the mixture reaches the desired consistency.
Transfer the cooked waffles to an ovenproof platter and keep warm in the oven until all of them are cooked. To serve, drizzle with Lemon Sauce and top with berries.