When summertime rolls around, I gravitate to this salad. Take the freshest greens, add chopped ripe tomatoes, raw sweet corn, a sprinkling of Parmesan or goat cheese, and dress it with an arugula balsamic vinaigrette. It’s a winner every time. Follow with Grilled Chicken Breasts with Chimichurri Sauce .
- 1 shallot
- 1½ tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup packed coarsely chopped arugula leaves
- ½ pound mixed salad greens, finely chopped
- 1 large, ripe tomato, coarsely chopped
- ½ cucumber, peeled, seeded, and cut into ¼-inch dice
- 1 ear fresh white or yellow sweet corn, shucked
- ¼ cup coarsely shredded Parmesan cheese (use a shredder or swivel peeler)
1. To make the vinaigrette: In a food processor fitted with the metal blade, mince the shallot. Add the vinegar, lemon juice, and mustard and process to combine. With the machine running, gradually add the oil to make an emulsified sauce. Add the salt, pepper, and arugula. Pulse until well blended. Taste and adjust the seasonings.
2. In a large salad bowl, combine the greens, vegetables, and cheese. Add the vinaigrette and toss until well coated. Divide the salad among individual plates and serve.
The vinaigrette may be prepared 1 day in advance, covered, and refrigerated. Whisk it well before using. The salad can be prepared 2 hours ahead and refrigerated. (Since the salad is chopped with a metal knife, the lettuce may begin to brown after 2 hours.)
The clever cook could:
1. Add cooked chicken, turkey, fish, or shellfish for a main-course salad.
2. Add chopped chilled cooked green beans.
Nutritional information is based on 6 servings and 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving.