- Course: Side Dish
- Total Time: Under 2 Hours
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 16 Times
Use rice and herbs as the stuffing in place of meat.
- 4 red bell peppers
- ½ cup basmati rice
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped chives
- 1 tsp chopped thyme
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- 2/3 cup vegetable stock or water
- Freshly grated Parmesan, for serving
1. Cut the top off each pepper. Scoop out the seeds. Boil the rice in salted water for about 20 minutes, or until tender, then drain. Stir the herbs and lemon juice into the rice and season with salt and pepper.
2. Preheat the oven 325°F (160°C). Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the peppers, and cook for 2–3 minutes. Drain well and stand the peppers in an oiled baking dish.
3. Fill each pepper with the rice mixture. Place the tops on and drizzle with oil. Pour the stock into the dish. Cover with foil, and bake for 1 hour, or until tender. Serve hot, with the cheese on the side.
© 2008 Dorling Kindersley
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving and does not include Parmesan, for serving.
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox