When I see strawberries and rhubarb at the market, I know that summer’s just around the corner. The wonderfully tart flavor of rhubarb and juicy, sweet strawberries in this dessert is one of the ways that I like to welcome the new season.
- 3½ cups (875 mL) strawberries, hulled and halved or quartered, depending on size
- 3 cups (750 mL) sliced fresh rhubarb
- ¾ cup (175 mL) granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) cornstarch
- 1 tsp (5 mL) lightly packed grated orange zest
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) orange juice
- 1 recipe Cinnamon Sugar Crumb Topping
- 8-inch (2 L) square glass baking dish, greased
Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C)
1. In a large bowl, gently combine strawberries, rhubarb, sugar, cornstarch and orange zest and juice. Spread mixture in prepared baking dish.
2. Bake in preheated oven, carefully stirring every 10 minutes or so, for 35 to 40 minutes or until fruit mixture is thickened and the juices are becoming glossy.
3. Remove baking dish from oven and gently stir liquid mixture in bottom of baking dish with fruit. Sprinkle topping over fruit mixture. Reduce heat to 350°F (180°C), return crisp to oven and continue baking for 15 to 20 minutes more or until top is lightly browned and juices are bubbling and thickened. Let cool on a wire rack for at least 20 minutes to allow juices to thicken.
Use lemon juice and zest instead of the orange juice and zest.
Nutritional information is based on 8 servings and does not include Cinnamon Sugar Crumb Topping. For nutritional information on Cinnamon Sugar Crumb Topping, please see link above.