Here’s a pretty-in-pink frosting that tastes great, without adding any food coloring. This sweet frosting is a favorite with children, who tend to devour it before you’re able to put it on the cupcakes.
- 4 oz (125 g) cream cheese, at room temperature
- ¼ cup (50 mL) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- Pinch salt
- 2½ cups (625 mL) confectioners sugar (icing sugar)
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) strawberry jam
- 1 tsp( 5 mL) grated lemon zest
1. In a bowl, using an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat together cream cheese, butter and salt until creamy. With mixer on low speed, beat in confectioner’s sugar, ½ cup (125 mL) at a time so that the sugar doesn’t fly all over the place. Increase speed to medium-high and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in strawberry jam and lemon zest.
2. Spread frosting over cooled cupcakes and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Variation: Omit the lemon zest or substitute orange or lime zest.
Nutritional information is based on a serving size of 2 tablespoons of Buttercream.