- Course: Main Course
- Total Time: Under 1 Hour
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 6 Times
- 1 pound snow peas
- 2 whole chicken breasts, boned but with skin left on
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 8 to 10 large dried black mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup peanut or vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons water
1. Pinch off the stem ends of the snow peas and, if necessary, string them.
2. Cut the chicken breasts into bite-size pieces and put them in a bowl. Add 1 tablespoon of the cornstarch and 1 tablespoon of the sherry and stir to coat the pieces.
3. Place the mushrooms in a bowl and add boiling water to cover. Let stand 20 minutes, then drain and squeeze to remove excess liquid. Cut off and discard the stems.
4. Combine the soy sauces, sugar, salt and remaining 2 tablespoons sherry and stir to blend. Stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon of cornstarch.
5. Heat the oil in a wok or skillet until it is hot and almost smoking. Add the chicken and cook over high heat, stirring, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove the chicken pieces with a slotted spoon but leave the oil in the pan.
6. Add the mushrooms and the snow peas to the hot oil and cook, stirring, about 30 seconds. Remove the vegetables with a slotted spoon.
7. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of oil from the wok. Return to the heat and stir in the soy sauce mixture. Stir about 5 seconds and add the chicken and water and turn the heat to high.
8. Add the snow peas and mushrooms and cook, stirring, about 30 seconds. Serve immediately.
© 1990 Craig Claiborne
Note from Cookstr's Editors
Nutritional information is based on used two boneless chicken breasts with skin and includes 1/2 teaspoon of added salt.
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox