- Course: Dessert
- Total Time: Under 2 Hours
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 44 Times
Can be made ahead of time.
The combination of fresh lemon juice and yogurt gives this cake a wonderfully fresh taste and moist texture.
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F (175°C). Butter an 8in (20cm) cake pan, and line the bottom with a round of parchment paper.
2. Grate the zest and squeeze the juice from the lemons; you should have 6 tbsp juice. Cream together the butter and ¾ cup sugar, and the zest in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time.
3. Whisk the flours and the baking powder together to eliminate any lumps. Stir into the butter mixture, followed by the yogurt and 2 tbsp of the lemon juice.
4. Spread in the pan. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the center springs back when pressed.
5. Meanwhile, stir the remaining ½ cup sugar and 4 tbsp lemon juice in a saucepan over low heat to dissolve the sugar. Cool.
6. Transfer the cake to a wire rack. Pierce the cake all over with a skewer and drizzle the syrup on top. Cool for 30 minutes. Invert onto the rack, remove the pan, peel off the paper, and cool completely.