- Course: Dessert
- Total Time: Under 2 Hours
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 44 Times
Can be made ahead of time.
The combination of fresh lemon juice and yogurt gives this cake a wonderfully fresh taste and moist texture.
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F (175°C). Butter an 8in (20cm) cake pan, and line the bottom with a round of parchment paper.
2. Grate the zest and squeeze the juice from the lemons; you should have 6 tbsp juice. Cream together the butter and ¾ cup sugar, and the zest in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time.
3. Whisk the flours and the baking powder together to eliminate any lumps. Stir into the butter mixture, followed by the yogurt and 2 tbsp of the lemon juice.
4. Spread in the pan. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the center springs back when pressed.
5. Meanwhile, stir the remaining ½ cup sugar and 4 tbsp lemon juice in a saucepan over low heat to dissolve the sugar. Cool.
6. Transfer the cake to a wire rack. Pierce the cake all over with a skewer and drizzle the syrup on top. Cool for 30 minutes. Invert onto the rack, remove the pan, peel off the paper, and cool completely.
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox