- Course: Main Course
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 27 Times
This Asian-inspired lean beef dish is brought to life through the power of umami. A dash of soy sauce added to the zesty, sweet marinade brings out the best in beef.
- 1 beef top round steak, cut 3/4 inch thick (about 1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups thinly sliced carrots
- 3 cups fresh pea pods, strings removed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt and black pepper
- 3 cups hot cooked jasmine rice, prepared without butter or salt
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup prepared plum sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1. Combine marinade ingredients in small bowl. Place beef steak and 1/2 cup marinade in food-safe plastic bag; turn steak to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 6 hours or as long as overnight, turning occasionally. Cover and reserve remaining marinade in refrigerator.
2. Remove steak from marinade; discard marinade. Place steak on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, uncovered, 8 to 9 minutes for medium rare doneness, turning occasionally and basting with some of the reserved marinade during last 2 to 3 minutes of grilling. Remove; keep warm.
3. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add carrots; stir-fry 5 minutes. Add pea pods and garlic; stir-fry 2 minutes.
4. Carve steak into thin slices. Season with salt and black pepper, as desired. Place remaining marinade in small saucepan; heat until warm. Serve with steak, vegetables and rice. Garnish with cilantro, if desired.
This recipe is an excellent source of fiber, protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc.
© 2006 American Dietetic Association and National Cattlemen's Beef Association
Nutritional information is provided by the author.
Nutrition information per serving: 496 calories; 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat; 4 g monounsaturated fat); 61 mg cholesterol; 531 mg sodium; 66 g carbohydrate; 6.2 g fiber; 36 g protein; 8.4 mg niacin; 0.8 mg vitamin B6; 1.5 mcg vitamin B12; 6.9 mg iron; 43.0 mcg selenium; 6.1 mg zinc.