- Course: Main Course
- Total Time: Under 30 Minutes
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Splurge
- Favorited: 76 Times
This restaurant classic can easily be made at home.
- 4 sirloin steaks or filet mignons, about 8oz (225g) each
- ½ tsp dry mustard
- 1–2 tsp black peppercorns
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- ¼ cup sherry or brandy
- 2/3 cup creme fraiche
1. Trim any excess fat from the steaks. If using filet mignons, flatten slightly with a meat mallet. Sprinkle with the mustard.
2. Crush the peppercorns in a mortar or under a saucepan and press on both sides of the steaks.
3. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Add the steaks and cook, 2–3 minutes each side for a rare steak, 4 minutes each side for medium, and 5–6 minutes each side for well done. Transfer to a platter and tent with aluminum foil.
4. Add the sherry to the pan and stir up the browned bits. Add the créme fraîche and cook for 3 minutes, until slightly thickened. Place the steaks on individual plates and top with the sauce. Serve hot.
© 2008 Dorling Kindersley
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox