Squash Blossom Soup
Total Timeunder 2 hours
Make Ahead RecipeYes
OccasionCasual Dinner Party
Recipe Coursemain course
Taste and Texturecreamy, rich, savory
Type of Dishcold soup
- 1 pound squash blossoms, reserve 8 of the choicest blossoms for decoration (about 60 blossoms)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 bunch scallions, including some of the green, cut lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1½ quarts chicken stock , reduced by half, or canned low-sodium chicken broth
- 1½ to 2 pounds baby zucchini and yellow squash, chopped
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Salt and freshly milled white pepper
- Food processor or blender
Remove the blossoms from the squash. In a medium kettle or saucepan, melt the butter. Sauté the scallions until wilted. Add the reduced stock and bring to a simmer. A dd the blossoms and squash to the stock. Simmer for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a separate pan, reduce the cream by half. Strain the broth into a clean saucepan. Puree the solids in a food processor. Fold the puree into the broth and add the cream. Season to taste and chill for 1 hour.
When ready to serve, decorate each plate with a reserved squash blossom.