- Course: Appetizer, Main Course
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 45 Times
This works well with either creamy Gorgonzola dolce, or the firmer, sharper piccante variety.
1 hr 30 mins
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 8 tbsp cold butter, diced
- 4 tbsp iced water, as needed
- 1 lb (450g) butternut squash, peeled and seeds removed
- Olive oil, as needed
- 14 oz (400g) baby spinach
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1¼ cups heavy cream
- 1/8 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- ½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 oz (115g) Gorgonzola, crumbled
- 8 in (20cm) tart pan
- Parchment paper
- Baking beans
1. For the dough, pulse the flour, butter, and ¼ tsp salt in a food processor until the mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs. Add the water and pulse until the dough comes together, adding more water if needed. Shape into a thick disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Roll out into a round about 1/8 in (3mm) thick. Use the dough to line an 8in (20cm) fluted tart pan with a removable bottom. Chill for 30 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Prick the bottom of the pastry shell. Line it with parchment paper and fill with baking beans. Bake about 15 minutes, until the dough looks set. Lift off the parchment paper and beans. Bake for 10 minutes more, until beginning to brown. Transfer to a wire rack.
3. Slice the squash into thick slices and spread on a baking sheet. Toss with 1 tbsp oil. Bake for 30 minutes, or until tender. Meanwhile, cook the spinach and 2 tbsp olive oil in a covered saucepan for about 4 minutes, until wilted. Drain and let cool. Whisk the eggs, egg yolk, cream, Parmesan, and nutmeg together and season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Squeeze the spinach dry. Spread it in the pastry shell, and top with the squash and Gorgonzola. Pour in the custard. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the custard is set. Let cool for 10 minutes. Remove the sides of the pan and serve hot.
Freezing Information: Freeze the unbaked pastry shell for up to 1 month
© 2008 Dorling Kindersley
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.