- Course: Main Course
- Total Time: Under 2 Hours
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 10 Times
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 envelope dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups flour or more as needed
- 1-½ teaspoons salt
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach leaves
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 4 to 5 firm-ripe plum tomatoes, sliced ½ inch thick
1. To make the dough, combine water and sugar in food processor. Sprinkle yeast over and let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes. Add olive oil, then 3 cups flour and salt. Process until dough comes together, about 1 minute.
2. Turn dough out onto a work surface and knead to form a smooth ball. Place in a greased bowl, turning to coat entire surface with oil. Cover and left rise in a warm spot until doubled, about 45 minutes.
3. To make the pesto, drop the garlic cloves into the running food processor to mince. Stop machine and add basil, spinach, pine nuts and Parmesan cheese. Pulse to finely chop. Turn machine on and pour in olive oil process to puree to a thick paste.
4. Preheat oven to 450°F. Punch down dough and roll or press out to fit a ½-inch pizza pan or to form a round on a greased baking sheet. Spread crust with pesto, sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and top with tomatoes. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until crust is brown and crispy.
To save time, use a prepared ball of dough or even use a prebaked pizza crust.
© 2005 Phillis M. Carey
This recipe serves 8.
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox