This is one of the prettiest pastas you’ll ever see. Splashes of yellow squash and red bell pepper set off the green spinach noodles and the stark white bits of chicken. The dish has a distinctly Asian flavor, brimming with tantalizing fresh ginger.
- 1/3 cup chopped shallot (2 large shallots)
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 3 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 8 ounces dried spinach fettucini
- ½ cup chicken stock, fat skimmed off
- 1 medium yellow squash, trimmed and cut into matchsticks
- 1 medium red bell pepper, trimmed and cut into strips
- 1 large leek, white part only, trimmed and cut into 1-inch half rounds
- 2 cups broccoli florets (l bundle)
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- ¼ cup snipped fresh chives
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Put all the marinade/dressing ingredients in a blender and mix thoroughly at low speed.
Place the chicken in a shallow baking dish. Pour half of the mixture from the blender over the poultry, reserving the remainder. Cover and refrigerate the chicken for 20 minutes.
While the chicken is marinating, bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add the fettucini and cook for 8 to 12 minutes, to desired doneness.
In the meantime, remove the chicken from the refrigerator. Uncover the baking dish and transfer it to the oven. Bake for about 15 minutes, until the meat is no longer pink and the juices run clear.
When the pasta is cooked, remove the pot from the heat. Drain the fettucini and return it to the pot. Stir in the chicken stock and keep the mixture warm over the lowest heat setting.
Pour the cooking juices from the chicken into a sauté pan. Add the squash, bell pepper, leek, broccoli, and mushrooms. Sauté for about 3 minutes, just until the vegetables begin to wilt.
Transfer the pasta to a warm serving bowl, along with the vegetables. Shred the chicken on top. Add the reserved dressing and toss. Garnish with the snipped chives.
Nutritional information is provided by the author.
Fat per serving = 3.9 grams
Calories per serving = 399