- Course: Main Course
- Total Time: Under 30 Minutes
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 42 Times
A little bit like a black bean taco, these burgers are spot-on when accompanied by lettuce, tomato, guacamole, salsa, jack cheese and sour cream.
- 4 cups cooked, rinsed and drained black beans
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 large eggs
- 4 scallions, both white and green parts, minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped basil or cilantro, or a combination
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1½ to 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1½ teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 to 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.
Place 2 cups of the black beans in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade and pulse until chunky.
Transfer to a large mixing bowl, add the remaining whole black beans, along with the panko, eggs, scallions, basil or cilantro, garlic, cumin, oregano, and red pepper flakes and mix until well combined.
Divide the mixture into 4 portions and form each into a patty about ¾ to 1 inch thick, tossing it back and forth between your hands. Sprinkle the patties with the salt and pepper.
Place a cast iron skillet over high heat and when it is hot but not smoking add the burgers to the dry pan. Cook until well seared on both sides and heated throughout, 8 to 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
© 2008 Sally Sampson
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox