Spiced Carrot Bran Muffins
If you want a quick and delicious icing for carrot muffins, boil a small potato and mash it. Add confectioner’s (icing) sugar and vanilla.
Total Timeunder 1 hour
Make Ahead RecipeYes
Recipe Courseside dish, snack
Dietary Considerationhalal, healthy, kosher, peanut free, soy free, tree nut free, vegetarian
Mealbreakfast, brunch, kid snack
Taste and Texturechewy, savory, spiced, sweet
Type of Dishmuffins, quickbreads
- 1 cup (250 mL) All Bran cereal
- 1 cup (250 mL) buttermilk or sour milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¾ cup (175 mL) finely shredded carrots (about 2 medium)
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) all purpose flour
- ¼ cup (50 mL) packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
- ¾ tsp (4 mL) ground cinnamon or allspice
- ½ tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- Muffin tin, greased or paper-lined
Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
In a bowl, combine bran cereal and buttermilk. Let stand for about 5 minutes. Add egg, carrots and oil; mix well.
In another bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and bran mixture; stir just until blended.
Spoon batter into prepared muffin tin. Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until browned.
2008 Esther Brody