A filling one-pot meal known as Cocido in Spain.
Preparation Time25 min
Preparation Time - Text25 mins
Cooking Time2 min
Cooking Time - Text165
Total Timeunder 4 hours
OccasionCasual Dinner Party, Family Get-together
Recipe Coursemain course
Taste and Texturemeaty, rich, savory, smoky
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 small onions, quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 9 oz (250g) beef chuck, cut into 4 thick slices
- 6 oz (175g) slab bacon, cut into 4 thick pieces
- 4 pork spare ribs, cut into ribs
- 4 thick slices pork belly, about 1lb 2oz (500g) in total
- 4 chicken thighs
- 1½ cups white wine
- 6 oz (175g) smoked chorizo, cut into 4 pieces
- 6 oz (175g) morcilla
- 1 smoked ham hock
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 small boiling potatoes
- 4 carrots, halved lengthwise
- 1 head Savoy cabbage, quartered
- One 15 oz (420g) can chickpeas
- 3 tbsp chopped parsley, to garnish
Heat 1 tbsp oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook, stirring, for 10 minutes, until softened.
Heat the remaining 3 tbsp oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. In batches, brown the meats and chicken. Add to the saucepan with the onions and garlic.
Pour the wine into the frying pan and boil over high heat, scraping up the bits, for 3 minutes, or until reduced by half. Pour into the saucepan. Add the chorizo, morcilla, ham hock, and bay leaf. Add cold water to cover and season. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat, and simmer for 1½ hours.
Add the potatoes and carrots and simmer for 30 minutes. Add the cabbage and garbanzo beans and cook until the meats are very tender, about 15 minutes more. Discard the bay leaf and ham hock. Divide the meat and vegetables among 4 bowls. Ladle in some of the broth, sprinkle with the parsley, and serve hot.
2008 Dorling Kindersley