- Course: Main Course
- Total Time: Under 30 Minutes
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 44 Times
A spicy Sicilian pasta sauces gets its edge from capers and olives
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ½ fresh hot red chile, seeded and minced
- 1½ lb (680g) ripe tomatoes, skinned, seeded, and chopped
- 1 cup pitted and chopped Kalamata olives
- 6 canned anchovy fillets, drained and finely chopped
- 3 tbsp capers, drained and rinsed
- 1 lb (450g) spaghetti
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
1. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over low heat. Add garlic and chile and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes, or until the garlic is pale gold. Add the tomatoes, olives, anchovies, and capers and bring to a boil over high heat.
2. Return the heat to low and simmer, stirring frequently, for about 15 minutes, or until the juices thicken.
3. Cook the spaghetti in a pot of lightly salted boiling water over high heat according to the package instructions until al dente. Drain.
4. Toss the spaghetti with the sauce and sprinkle with the parsley. Serve hot.
Make as above, but omit the olives, capers and anchovies. Use 1 whole fresh hot red chile and replace the parsley with basil leaves.
Good with a glass of full-bodied red wine.
© 2008 Dorling Kindersley
Note from Cookstr's Editors
Nutritional information is based on 6 servings.