- Course: Main Course, Snack
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 12 Times
This twist on an old American classic, the BLT, is just as good as the original.
- 12 slices soy bacon
- 2 large whole wheat pitas, cut in half
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) soy mayonnaise
- ¼ cup (50 ml) fresh basil leaves
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper, optional
1. Cook bacon strips according to package directions. Let cool slightly.
2. Carefully separate pitas to open pockets. Spread one-quarter of the soy mayonnaise over inside bottom of each pita half. For each pocket, top mayonnaise with one-quarter each of the basil leaves and tomato slices. Place 3 strips of bacon over tomatoes. Season with pepper to taste, if using. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
Chop the basil leaves and stir into the mayonnaise, then spread over the pitas.
Soy Bacon, Basil and Tomato Sandwich: If you prefer a more traditional presentation, substitute 8 slices whole wheat bread, toasted, for the pitas. Continue with Step 2.
© 2005 Maxine Effenson Chuck and Beth Gurney